* Loading Gallery Images...

Chilliwack - 1915 (thumbnail) North Vancouver Ferry Dock - 1916 (thumbnail) Theatre Row, Granville St. - 1950 (thumbnail) Christmas Shoppers, Hastings St. - 1913 (thumbnail) Columbia Street - New Westminster - 1924 (thumbnail) Christmas Windows - Woodwards on Hasting (thumbnail) Marine Building on Hastings  - 1945 (thumbnail) Granville Street Bridge - 1921 (thumbnail) Theatre Row, Granville Street-1948 (thumbnail) Theatre Row, Hastings St. - 1926 (thumbnail) Pacific Gateway, Vancouver - 1912 (thumbnail) Vancouver Exhibition - 1910 (thumbnail) Top of Granville Street - 1912 (thumbnail) Lonsdale Quay-1919 (thumbnail) Vancouver Public Market-1908 (thumbnail) Blackburn's Service, Seymour Street-1928 (thumbnail) New Westminster BCER Depot - 1926 (thumbnail) Park Row, New Westminster - 1909 (thumbnail) Car #101 on Hastings-1949 (thumbnail) Passing Woodwards-1939 (thumbnail) A Capital Christmas (thumbnail) A Christmas Reunion-1914 (thumbnail) The Old Street Car Barn - 1894 (thumbnail) Stanley Park-1900 (thumbnail) Red Racer Diner, Penticton-1960's (thumbnail) Out to Pasture, Street car # 153 (thumbnail) English Bay, Vancouver, Canada (thumbnail) Granville and Hastings Streets in Vancouver (thumbnail) Crossroads at Langley Prairie - 1928 (thumbnail) Bathhouse on English Bay - 1931 (thumbnail)
Passing Woodwards-1939 (large view)
 
Passing Woodwards-1939
Limited Edition Giclee print on canvas (sn95) of streetcar #272 passing Woodwards Dept Store in Vancouver, B.C.

“Passing Woodwards – 1939” shows streetcar #272 on the Fairview line as it passes Woodwards department store eastbound on Hastings. Car #272 was built by BCER in 1913. It was a two man, single ended configuration with 47 passenger seats. It was designated as a Fairview type sporting steel bottom and side construction. Many still remember these cars for the distinctive whine they produced when in motion.

In the distance are Victory Square and the Cenotaph. This was the original site of Vancouver’s first courthouse built in 1888 and later demolished before WW I. The Southam family donated funds for the rehabilitation of the square and in 1924 the cenotaph was erected and the name changed to Victory Square. The Inns of Court Building dominating the background, behind the cenotaph, originally provided chambers for lawyers who worked at the old courthouse. Later it became The Bank of Hamilton and then The Canadian Bank of Commerce.

Towering in the background, the steel framed, red bricked, arch-roofed Dominion Building, built in 1909, was briefly tallest building in British Empire. At the far end of the block, at corner of Hastings and Cambie, stands the Flack Block. Next is the Ormidale Block and then the Ralph Block followed by Henderson Block. Finally the grand Woodward’s Department Store at corner of Hastings and Abbott stands proudly. It’s time to step off car #272, onto the sidewalk and into the grand days of 1939, a vibrant time when commerce and fun permeated this street.


Brian Croft
20" H x 25" W
Price: CA $700.00