* Loading Gallery Images...

Chilliwack - 1915 (thumbnail) North Vancouver Ferry Dock - 1916 (thumbnail) Theatre Row, Granville St. - 1950 (thumbnail) Christmas Shoppers, Hastings St. - 1913 (thumbnail) Columbia Street - New Westminster - 1924 (thumbnail) Christmas Windows - Woodwards on Hasting (thumbnail) Marine Building on Hastings  - 1945 (thumbnail) Granville Street Bridge - 1921 (thumbnail) Theatre Row, Granville Street-1948 (thumbnail) Theatre Row, Hastings St. - 1926 (thumbnail) Pacific Gateway, Vancouver - 1912 (thumbnail) Vancouver Exhibition - 1910 (thumbnail) Top of Granville Street - 1912 (thumbnail) Lonsdale Quay-1919 (thumbnail) Vancouver Public Market-1908 (thumbnail) Blackburn's Service, Seymour Street-1928 (thumbnail) New Westminster BCER Depot - 1926 (thumbnail) Park Row, New Westminster - 1909 (thumbnail) Car #101 on Hastings-1949 (thumbnail) Passing Woodwards-1939 (thumbnail) A Capital Christmas (thumbnail) A Christmas Reunion-1914 (thumbnail) The Old Street Car Barn - 1894 (thumbnail) Stanley Park-1900 (thumbnail) Red Racer Diner, Penticton-1960's (thumbnail) Out to Pasture, Street car # 153 (thumbnail) English Bay, Vancouver, Canada (thumbnail) Granville and Hastings Streets in Vancouver (thumbnail) Crossroads at Langley Prairie - 1928 (thumbnail) Bathhouse on English Bay - 1931 (thumbnail)
Vancouver Exhibition - 1910 (large view)
 
Vancouver Exhibition - 1910
Limited Edition Giclee print on canvas (sn95)

In1889 Vancouver acquired 160 acres for use as a natural park somewhat like Stanley Park. Called Hastings Park, it was quickly put into use by the Jockey Club which obtained permission to build a race track. In 1908 the Vancouver Exhibition Association, amid much controversy and opposition formulated plans to use Hastings Park for a new annual fair. A major selling point for the new Vancouver Exhibition was that it was to be just a five-cent streetcar fare from downtown. Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier performed the opening ceremonies for the grand opening in August of 1910 with 5,000 people in attendance; 68,000 people attended the exhibition in its first year.

The first main exhibition building at Hastings Park was built at a cost of nearly $37,000. Called the Industrial Building, it was 240 feet long and 100 feet wide. It had an arched roof with glassed end sections permitting a bright interior; the exterior was decorated in white and gold paint. The Industrial Building proved to be a lavish and inviting nucleus for the exhibition, accommodating entertainment, displays, and refreshments under one roof.

In this painting, a view to the southeast, B.C. Electric streetcars are about to drop fairgoers on the corner of Renfrew and Eton near the northwest corner of the park. The Industrial Building is visible on the far right. Nearer, is the Manufacturers Building. In the middle of the painting a primitive midway offers thrills and rides, and a jumble of tents and stands make up the entertainment arcade. On the left is the grandstand facing the racetrack, soon to be patronized by the four impatient risk-takers hanging onto the back of the second overloaded streetcar.
20" H x 32" W
 
Price: CA $700.00